Christmas Event Feedback

Shadow IX

Novice Trainer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi, this rant is constructive criticism with the aim to improve the game, nothing personal <3

Starting off with the positives of the event:

It was short and sweet, as it should be. Long hour questing will have players lose interest especially if they are a bit clueless of what is happening.

The mechanics - mining, ice fishing, moving boulders, cutting trees are great. It's good to keep them this way and not require HMs for stuff like this.

Reward - santa hat, something cosmetic is always good to have as a reward, to not give mechanical advantage to those that have to miss / missed an event. Exclusive event rewards should always be cosmetic IMO. (Unless it is retrievable in other ways)

Mini Games - (Whack a Mole, Gamba Roulette) - unexpected to have these but they are a good addition.

Boulder Puzzles / Ice Skating - as a puzzle hater, I didn't mind these at all. On the contrary , enjoyed them especially the boulder ones.

Now the 'rant' begins :cool:

Whack-a-mole - Add more feedback - Show timer, show some kind of visual when a diglett is hit (like 'zzz' symbol or something above it) - as sometimes I click on it, I am just staring till it is gone and probably the key press wasn't recognized and I lost that point.

Ice fishing - with the amount of people in same spot, I couldn't even tell that they were popping up - felt completely lost in this part - not sure if you can add 'visual tutorial' in the quest log.

Mini games - 'Add play again after each match' to skip through 80% of the dialogue.

Quest Log - Group them by 'map' (Main city or something) - to know where to progress / return the quest on finalization -(for future releases ofc as right now we are within 1 town)

Quest Log - Show who actually gave you the quest. (NPC Name, Town / Route Name)

Give NPCs Label above their heads with different text font & colour to be more recognizable and easier to locate the npc we need.

Make trainer card resizable and able to shift it around. (Useful to track our skill levels for example while doing that activity. example : tracking mining level)

Press escape to close current open windows

Pushing rocks- Not sure if the mechanic is buggy but right now I have no control when the rocks move, therefore I would suggest that the interaction for each rock to move should be manual... its annoying to manually click each time sure but its less room for error. ( or make it a toggleable option)

Reconfigurable keybinds... right now the interactions are just not natural and would like a way to change this asap (even if there is a config file and I can manually change for the time being)

On a final note, would like to add thanks for doing this christmas event, it was enjoyable for what the game can currently offer. Looking forward for the next ones. Merry Christmas everyone <3

Hi, this rant is constructive criticism with the aim to improve the game, nothing personal <3

Starting off with the positives of the event:

It was short and sweet, as it should be. Long hour questing will have players lose interest especially if they are a bit clueless of what is happening.
Couldn't agree more. Aside from hiccups regarding quest completion for "The Chase" it ran well.
The mechanics - mining, ice fishing, moving boulders, cutting trees are great. It's good to keep them this way and not require HMs for stuff like this.
Items for HM usage is the perfect idea for a game like this. One thing I'd note is that the boulder should be activated rather than just walking into it. Can cause issues mechanically I feel.
Reward - santa hat, something cosmetic is always good to have as a reward, to not give mechanical advantage to those that have to miss / missed an event. Exclusive event rewards should always be cosmetic IMO. (Unless it is retrievable in other ways)
Good point. Although, regarding rewards, I wouldn't mind seeing other things such as eggs or even premium items that you'd need to normally exchange special currency. I know that may be controversial, but there are way to make extremely good rewards much more difficult to obtain. Mechanically how this game is proceeding, it's definitely possible to set something like that into place.
Mini Games - (Whack a Mole, Gamba Roulette) - unexpected to have these but they are a good addition.
+1, Puts the Game Corner to shame.
Boulder Puzzles / Ice Skating - as a puzzle hater, I didn't mind these at all. On the contrary , enjoyed them especially the boulder ones.
Weren't difficult. Takes 5 minutes to memorize the ice puzzle if you cared to do so.
Now the 'rant' begins :cool:

Whack-a-mole - Add more feedback - Show timer, show some kind of visual when a diglett is hit (like 'zzz' symbol or something above it) - as sometimes I click on it, I am just staring till it is gone and probably the key press wasn't recognized and I lost that point.
The audio que is helpful, but as someone who will be turning most sounds off (sorry Tater), that point would be moot. Also people with hearing loss would miss those kinds of ques. I am all for some kind of timer or visual notification for future games.
Ice fishing - with the amount of people in same spot, I couldn't even tell that they were popping up - felt completely lost in this part - not sure if you can add 'visual tutorial' in the quest log.
This didn't bother me so much. There was a significant input lag from when you tried to get the Delibird. Sometimes it wouldn't register. Could have been from so many people trying to get into the server.
Mini games - 'Add play again after each match' to skip through 80% of the dialogue.
I'm 50/50 on this. If people are making BILLIONS through these mini games, they should be waiting. Not that I would figure there would be a game like that permanently implemented, but the time sink is needed. But as someone who doesn't like to wait around, I'd also want this removed and streamlined as well.
Quest Log - Group them by 'map' (Main city or something) - to know where to progress / return the quest on finalization -(for future releases ofc as right now we are within 1 town)
+1
Quest Log - Show who actually gave you the quest. (NPC Name, Town / Route Name)
+1
Give NPCs Label above their heads with different text font & colour to be more recognizable and easier to locate the npc we need.
+100000 Couldn't stress this enough.
Make trainer card resizable and able to shift it around. (Useful to track our skill levels for example while doing that activity. example : tracking mining level)
+1 Could also say that for most menus as well.
Press escape to close current open windows
+1
Pushing rocks- Not sure if the mechanic is buggy but right now I have no control when the rocks move, therefore I would suggest that the interaction for each rock to move should be manual... its annoying to manually click each time sure but its less room for error. ( or make it a toggleable option)
Should be an activation. Just like trees and ore.
Reconfigurable keybinds... right now the interactions are just not natural and would like a way to change this asap (even if there is a config file and I can manually change for the time being)
Pretty sure this is an eventual planned feature.
On a final note, would like to add thanks for doing this christmas event, it was enjoyable for what the game can currently offer. Looking forward for the next ones. Merry Christmas everyone <3
Bah Humbug!

Most of the feedback I have I assume will eventually be a thing added when game polishing comes along, but I'll say it anyway:

- Animations when mining would be great, like swinging pickaxe. (Also for other skills when it's added eventually)

- Leveling satisfaction: add greater effects/sound FX when leveling at increased milestones. I like the way Runescape does it with fireworks and different sounds for IMPORTANT level up milestones (every 10th and so-on), also a flashier popup when you level up, rather than just a message in the chat.

- Some areas with deeper snow that sinks the player (Pokemon D/P)

- Hide all other players during cutscenes

Event was great (y)

Reactions: cyn and Jack
I'll also like to ask for a transparency mode for other players. It really get messy when there is a lot of people and I have to eye around to find my character. I remember an old game I used to play then that had this. It's very useful by typing command /watch +username you can highlight that character mostly used for yourself and so others get a low transparency which helps to focus on your character when needed like in crowded maps.

Mining ⛏️

I also have mixed feelings about the mining system which is the one I tried during this demo. I'm aware that it's an early stage but feedback was asked and so i will put some word if it helps.

The multi pressing button is a little bit tedious to do and it annoys me when you have to do it often when it's like this. Changing to a 1 press and a waiting range for it let's say 2 - 6 sec example it can change higher or lower depending if it scales by leveling or items.

There isn't much interaction with it, for some it's good, but for me it's not very fun. Probably something else it's planned already for it, but i would like to see some Pokemon encounters while mining with some exclusives at higher levels or something else.

Same with the transparency mode I can't really see with many players around and as adding or adjusting rocks to stand out a bit more like shining would be good. I'll be happy if both options are taken in consideration for game clarity or if you have any other idea i'll also like to listen to it.

I'm also grateful to see all the work that the staff put on this demo. I still have to finish the whole of it, and so i'll try to do with the limited time I have during these days. Thank you and I wish you Merry Xmas and everyone that reads this.
∧,,,∧
( ̳• · • ̳)
/ づ♡​

Just wanted to add onto this. I like this idea, but please don't do something like giving every single npc a unique name and label for the sake of "quirkiness". IMO this only creates visual noise for little to no gain.

Give labels to important npcs that you are likely to visit more than once, like a move tutor, shopkeeper, etc., or npcs that give you quests or that are related to the quests you have currently on you.

That is fair enough. Thanks for all the additional suggestions. Until next demo now :D
In the meantime there is only 1 thing we can do....

TO DA MINES TO BET ALL ON RED