Day / Night Cycle Length

How long should the Day / Night cycle of PokéForce be? (In real life hours)

• 6 Hours (1h Morning, 4h Day, 1h Night)

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • 8 Hours (2h Morning, 4h Day, 2h Night)

Votes: 69 55.2%
  • Other (Please specify in this thread)

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maid Lulia

Pink Gardevoir Maid
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello, PokéForce community! We'd like your input on how you'd like us to implement the day and night cycle in the world of Pokéforce. Let us know by voting and discussing below!

Remove Morning, Have Day & Night Cycle only - 2/3 hrs each.

4 hr is way too long, especially if ppl can only play 2 hrs a day, means they will never get to see specific spawns.

Personally am one for a 3H or 4H cycle (45m/1h30/45m or 1h/2h/1h). A major gripe that I and probably a lot of people that can't find as much time to play is how long the cycle is in something like PokeMMO with it also being 6H. Having to wait such a long time to cycle is a huge deficit for such players and a shorter cycle like this still allows for periods of long hunting without having to worry about if another event is going to clash with the cycle. Both 6 hours and 8 hours are incredibly long and make it overall harder to hunt for what you're looking for without waiting hours, maybe even days if your IRL cycle doesn't fit well enough for this.

I'm new, so I don't know how much is already set in stone, but if we have Pokémon that only spawn at different times then I would say 8h for an entire cycle is good, so there are basically three cycles in a full real life day. But it would be kinda annoying if one phase is longer or shorter than others, so personally I would like 160 minutes (2h 40min) for every phase.

6 hrs total -
morning: 1:45hrs
day: 2:30hrs
night: 1:45hrs

or

8hrs total -
morning: 2hrs
day: 3hrs
night: 3hrs

Reactions: caioviski
i feel like the morning, day, night cycle should be even, something like 3 hours morning, 3 hours, day, 3 hours night and repeat after the 3 hours of night is over, i feel this could be good depending on the events that would be happening around the map/world.

Personally am one for a 3H or 4H cycle (45m/1h30/45m or 1h/2h/1h). A major gripe that I and probably a lot of people that can't find as much time to play is how long the cycle is in something like PokeMMO with it also being 6H. Having to wait such a long time to cycle is a huge deficit for such players and a shorter cycle like this still allows for periods of long hunting without having to worry about if another event is going to clash with the cycle. Both 6 hours and 8 hours are incredibly long and make it overall harder to hunt for what you're looking for without waiting hours, maybe even days if your IRL cycle doesn't fit well enough for this.
That very may well work, although maybe on certain days the duration of one time period is doubled to offset what time morning, day, and night is.

Reactions: Clas

4 hr is way too long, especially if ppl can only play 2 hrs a day, means they will never get to see specific spawns.
This! Not everybody has 6 hours every day to game, maybe they can play everyday but two/three hours is i feel its best.

I selected other, and here is my suggestion:

(1h Morning, 2h Day, 1h Night)

Don’t think I’m crazy. Just hear me out 🗿

I’ll assume the server is working off GMT, but the assumptions I use should work for any time zone.

Say you’re a wagecuck who just got off your 9-5 job and you commute back to your house, make yourself some dinner, and are finally able to chill around 6:30-7PM, and only have about 4 hours to yourself for the night until you have to go to sleep for the next day.

I’ve highlighted what each schedule would look like in this image.

Green represents Morning
Yellow represents Day
Blue represents Night
(No clue if the image quality is good or not since I did this on mobile)

Based on this chart, if you’re finally able to get on at 6:30-7PM, then on the 2:4:2 Cycle you get 3 hours of Day time, 1 Hour of Night time before you have to get off for the evening. No morning cycle.

If you’re on the 1:4:1 Cycle, you get only 4 hours of daytime, no morning or night cycle.

If you’re on the proposed 1:2:1 Cycle, you get a full night cycle, a full morning cycle, and a full day cycle regardless of whatever time you can play if you only have a 4 hour block of free time to work with.

If you were wanting to shiny hunt something that either only spawns in the morning, only at night, or has an increased spawn rate during these times, then a 1:2:1 would get you every single cycle in the short amount of time you have to play during the weekday, and can still hunt your desired target Pokemon without having to wait until the weekend.

This also allows you to still get full value out of things like Charms in PokeMMO that work off 1hr durations, and not have to deal with an awkward 45min cycle.

This also retains divisibility by 24 so the cycles are at the EXACT same times EVERY day, so you can easily plan your times around if you are targeting a specific cycle.

I hope I was able to convey this in a way that makes sense and would keep people from getting time gated too hard.

Last edited:
Why not throw my hat,in with my recommendation of 5 hour days,
45 min for morning
3 hours for day and
1 hour 15 min for night
It seems like a fair compromise to allow 2 hour players to get some other times while still keeping long time shifts. Also allows times to flip over a few months.

Reactions: shamorunner
I voted for the 8h day but prefer other, primarily something that has night for longer than 1h night. I'd rather have the 822 approach than the 411 strat

One strat that could be interesting and allow for longer sessions but opportunities for all TZs to shiny hunt their respective mons would be an 18h cycle. 8h Day, 6h Night, 4h Morning.

This would allow for longer sessions and allow for folks to be able to hunt off hours mons roughly once or more a week. This would make each session a little more fresh with different mons to hunt each session if hunting time based mons

The above method won't fit easily into a 24h, irl day

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonhart
All,
Please note, suggestions that don't easily conform to a 24-hour real world day are likely to be dismissed. Probably for reasons that I am unable to discuss.
Effectively, your suggestions should be able to fit into 1 real world day, such as:
  • 2hr morning, 4hr day, 2hr night
    • Which is 8 hours in total, and so means we would have 3 in-game days passing for every 1 real-world day.
  • 1hr morning, 4hr day, 1hr night
    • Which is 6 hours in total, and means 4 in-game days for every 1 real-world day.
So far, I'm seeing lots of interesting suggestions, many of which we in the Design Team had not previously thought of, which was the entire point of this exercise.

Fantastic work so far, please keep the suggestions coming!

For me it'd feel more natural if there were sunset as well as sunrise/evening as well as morning (I know different gens of pokemon have done this differently).

I guess I'd view the optimal cycle as 8 hours with 1.5 hours morning, 2.5 hours daytime, 1.5 hours evening, 2.5 hours nighttime.

6 hour cycle sounds good. Id make the night an hour longer tho. So 1 hr morn, 3 hr day, 2hr night.

Or better yet make them even so its easy to remember. 2hr morn, 2hr day, 2hr night.

I would like to suggest if there's 4 cycles instead of 3. In gen 4, you have Dawn, Daylight, Evening, and Dusk introduced.

Example below:

1h Dawn, 1h Daylight, 1h Evening, 1h Dusk = 4hours (I prefer this one)

2h Dawn, 2h Daylight, 2h Evening, 2h Dusk = 8hours

3h Dawn, 3h Daylight, 3h Evening, 3h Dusk = 12hours (I prefer this one too)

I feel these would be easier to handle for spawn rates and distributing which spawns will 100% have a chance to spawn during a specific time or harder to get at another time.

Example below:

Houndour - Rarity (Super Rare)
50% chance to be found at Dawn
0% chance to be found at Daylight
100% chance to be found at Evening
100% chance to be found at Dusk

Not sure if percentages help with the games multiplication on encounters, but an idea if works. Helpful the community finds this useful.

Thanks,
DangerZone

Last edited:

I completely agree with this suggestion if possible! Very convenient again for those who work rough hours and only get a few hours!

Shadow is right on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.