Regarding FOMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy

Calm Mind
Reaction score
I guess this makes for a good first thread in this section, albeit probably quite a controversial one at that. I know that you either fall on one side, on the other, or somewhere in-between.

For those who don't know what FOMO stands for, it stands for Fear Of Missing Out, in case you are unfamiliar with the abbreviation or the terminology. If you don't know what this is in terms of a game, it basically means that there are limited or exclusive things or items that are available at a certain point in time, and after that, these things become completely unobtainable. You will usually see this when it comes to AB (Alpha-Beta) stuff in games. If you aren't around during this time and say you found out or joined the game later on, then you will basically never get your hands on this stuff. This is stuff that is defined as and falls under FOMO and what causes it.

Google's Definition said:
Fear of missing out (FoMO) is a unique term introduced in 2004 to describe a phenomenon observed on social networking sites. FoMO includes two processes; firstly, perception of missing out, followed up with a compulsive behavior to maintain these social connections.

Now, while I don't actually know 100% if PokéForce is doing FOMO or is in support of doing it, I will say that it is most definitely a concern that I have with it. Especially after seeing the ticket thing and reading more about them through the Discord as well as some other stuff.

Personally, I tend to fall somewhere in-between when it comes to FOMO. I may end up caring a lot about it in a game, but other times I don't care whatsoever. Usually, I begin to care about FOMO with a game when it ends up being one that I genuinely and wholeheartedly enjoy and allot my time into, and it basically motivates me to become more of a completionist to achieve and obtain everything in the game that I can. That's the type of way that it works for me, and I know everyone obviously isn't the same, but yeah. I know that some people actually don't care about FOMO and actually like that being a thing because it gives them an opportunity to have things nobody else really has and will never have. I get that the feeling can be really great and satisfactory when you're in such a position, and I have no issue admitting that even I've experienced being on this side of the spectrum before. The times when others suffered from FOMO when others didn't and when I didn't have to. Like, I totally get and understand flexing and that being a vibe some people really enjoy.

Back to what I was saying, FOMO stuff can really just suck and hurt a lot when you suffer from it. I will take a more personal example of another game that I like and am still actively playing. This is a game known as Paladins. This happens to be one of my favorite games that I have sunk a ton of time into. I absolutely love Paladins and the MOBA game that it is, and Paladins definitely has a good history with FOMO stuff especially with champion skins as well as many different various cosmetic items. What was nice was that for their 5th anniversary, they did happen to re-release some older Battle Pass Limited skins and put them up for grabs for people who had missed them in the past, and it's something that came as a complete surprise to everyone, and it was quite nice to say the least. But, even still, FOMO still exists within Paladins, and even if it's something as simple as just wanting to fill out the Steam achievements for Paladins, it's actually impossible to do so if you didn't play since basically the launch of the game. That's because 2 of the achievements there are tied to being a Beta player. Guess what? I'm not a beta player and never will be. Those are also the only 2 achievements out of 58 that are missing for me as well. Mind you too, though, that I have over 3k+ gameplay hours in Paladins and have spent a bunch of $$$ on it, and I have no shame in admitting that. I mean, I genuinely love the game and have been wanting to collect as much as I can in it and it's like I want to support the game. But I know that no matter how much love I have for that game, I will never be able to have everything, and this is when FOMO gets to its worst point for me. It's just extremely frustrating and it's literally unavoidable not to think about it sometimes. I have spent years now huffing so much copium about it and just always complaining about it to my mates. I know I'm really venting and airing it out here, but yeah.

Anyway, I know that I may end up really liking and enjoying PokéForce a lot, and given that there's a good likelihood that it will feature FOMO and be in support of it since it's common for not only MMOs but really a lot of games in general to have it more often than not now. I'm just saying that It just makes me quite a bit disappointed when games keep following the same suit with it, is all. However, don't get me wrong, FOMO isn't an absolute dealbreaker at the end of the day, and I know that I will find enjoyment in a game if I find enjoyment in it, but yeah, it's just when you get to love a game so much and be supportive of it so much that it's hard to not get kicked in the behind because of FOMO. I'm sure that a lot of people probably share that same exact sentiment, so I know that I'm not alone.

While I do hope PokéForce does try to avoid FOMO at least as much as possible or even just does away with it entirely, since especially I really know how it feels to go through all the stages of grief with it personally. I just think that the topic is generally a lot more important and that awareness is being raised about it. FOMO is also a thing that can even encourage and promote stuff like elitism, which isn't a good thing to have at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lahm
I guess this makes for a good first thread in this section, albeit probably quite a controversial one at that. I know that you either fall on one side, on the other, or somewhere in-between.

For those who don't know what FOMO stands for, it stands for Fear Of Missing Out, in case you are unfamiliar with the abbreviation or the terminology. If you don't know what this is in terms of a game, it basically means that there are limited or exclusive things or items that are available at a certain point in time, and after that, these things become completely unobtainable. You will usually see this when it comes to AB (Alpha-Beta) stuff in games. If you aren't around during this time and say you found out or joined the game later on, then you will basically never get your hands on this stuff. This is stuff that is defined as and falls under FOMO and what causes it.

Now, while I don't actually know 100% if PokéForce is doing FOMO or is in support of doing it, I will say that it is most definitely a concern that I have with it. Especially after seeing the ticket thing and reading more about them through the Discord as well as some other stuff.

Personally, I tend to fall somewhere in-between when it comes to FOMO. I may end up caring a lot about it in a game, but other times I don't care whatsoever. Usually, I begin to care about FOMO with a game when it ends up being one that I genuinely and wholeheartedly enjoy and allot my time into, and it basically motivates me to become more of a completionist to achieve and obtain everything in the game that I can. That's the type of way that it works for me, and I know everyone obviously isn't the same, but yeah. I know that some people actually don't care about FOMO and actually like that being a thing because it gives them an opportunity to have things nobody else really has and will never have. I get that the feeling can be really great and satisfactory when you're in such a position, and I have no issue admitting that even I've experienced being on this side of the spectrum before. The times when others suffered from FOMO when others didn't and when I didn't have to. Like, I totally get and understand flexing and that being a vibe some people really enjoy.

Back to what I was saying, FOMO stuff can really just suck and hurt a lot when you suffer from it. I will take a more personal example of another game that I like and am still actively playing. This is a game known as Paladins. This happens to be one of my favorite games that I have sunk a ton of time into. I absolutely love Paladins and the MOBA game that it is, and Paladins definitely has a good history with FOMO stuff especially with champion skins as well as many different various cosmetic items. What was nice was that for their 5th anniversary, they did happen to re-release some older Battle Pass Limited skins and put them up for grabs for people who had missed them in the past, and it's something that came as a complete surprise to everyone, and it was quite nice to say the least. But, even still, FOMO still exists within Paladins, and even if it's something as simple as just wanting to fill out the Steam achievements for Paladins, it's actually impossible to do so if you didn't play since basically the launch of the game. That's because 2 of the achievements there are tied to being a Beta player. Guess what? I'm not a beta player and never will be. Those are also the only 2 achievements out of 58 that are missing for me as well. Mind you too, though, that I have over 3k+ gameplay hours in Paladins and have spent a bunch of $$$ on it, and I have no shame in admitting that. I mean, I genuinely love the game and have been wanting to collect as much as I can in it and it's like I want to support the game. But I know that no matter how much love I have for that game, I will never be able to have everything, and this is when FOMO gets to its worst point for me. It's just extremely frustrating and it's literally unavoidable not to think about it sometimes. I have spent years now huffing so much copium about it and just always complaining about it to my mates. I know I'm really venting and airing it out here, but yeah.

Anyway, I know that I may end up really liking and enjoying PokéForce a lot, and given that there's a good likelihood that it will feature FOMO and be in support of it since it's common for not only MMOs but really a lot of games in general to have it more often than not now. I'm just saying that It just makes me quite a bit disappointed when games keep following the same suit with it, is all. However, don't get me wrong, FOMO isn't an absolute dealbreaker at the end of the day, and I know that I will find enjoyment in a game if I find enjoyment in it, but yeah, it's just when you get to love a game so much and be supportive of it so much that it's hard to not get kicked in the behind because of FOMO. I'm sure that a lot of people probably share that same exact sentiment, so I know that I'm not alone.

While I do hope PokéForce does try to avoid FOMO at least as much as possible or even just does away with it entirely, since especially I really know how it feels to go through all the stages of grief with it personally. I just think that the topic is generally a lot more important and that awareness is being raised about it. FOMO is also a thing that can even encourage and promote stuff like elitism, which isn't a good thing to have at all.
While I personally would happily advocate for certain limited items being once again offered to the community in the future, I can’t see a lot of them returning.

When an item goes on sale for a limited time, only a certain number of players will have the required capital to acquire that item. In doing so, they will have acquired a limited item that will highly likely be high in demand in the future. The demand for that item and its limited supply will almost certainly make it very valuable; which is what some players will want in an economy. Having limited items like this would inevitably place them as the very top of the economical tier-list and give players another thing to grind and strive for.

Taking the early-access Demo items (such as the Eon Ticket, Aurora Ticket, and Rainbow Pass) as examples; there is a remote chance of players having access to these items again. Primarily due to the fact that these are exclusive rewards that allow our oldest players to show off to the community and prove how far back their support goes.

FOMO is also a thing that can even encourage and promote stuff like elitism, which isn't a good thing to have at all.
I would certainly hesitate to throw around words like ‘Elitism’, but I can see where you are coming from.

I’ll leave you with a quote that immediately comes to mind when discussing this topic:

Reactions: Charm
Hi there, I wanted to weigh in, more specifically on the tickets.

PokéForce, or more specifically, games I create, I have always shown the utmost respect and admiration for those that support the development, especially early on in the projects lifecycle. Without the support of members, I don't find the proper motivation to see projects through to the end, and it's merely a badge (or few!) to commemorate your journey with me as we all work together to build something great here.

The tickets already doled out definitely won't be handed out again, as that would devalue their core idea of being a symbol to celebrate how far you've come with me. There will be more opportunities with future Demos to obtain tickets, so it's not entirely over for all the new faces to earn a ticket of their very own as we march towards launch.

I choose to do this as opposed to opening something like a Patreon, or a "Kickstarter"-esque platform, as it gives everyone who knows and pays attention to the project a chance to earn the badge, as opposed to putting up a pay wall, which I'm sure wouldn't be received very well!

Just to summarize, the tickets are merely a badge to prove you've been here from the very start, and that's special to me! We're growing at an alarming rate and I want to put the spotlight on each and everyone of you who has joined the community and shown your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.