How did you get introduced to Pokémon?

Lucina

This story ends in tragedy.
Community Guide
Reaction score
Hii, I got a question for everyone!
How was your first experience with the Pokémon franchise like? Was it directly through the games or did you watch the anime first? Did you immediately like the games or did it take some time for them to warmp up to you?

My story: I think for me, I started with the anime. I remember being a kid, watching my aunt's TV when the first opening came up, and it instantly grabbed my attention. I remember I at first became obsessed with the "turtle that has cannons on its back" (Blastoise). Despite this, I didn't get many chances to watch it due to it being branded as "inappropriate" for children by my parents for some reason.
So I really got into it during elementary school when one of my friends brought his GBC to school with a Pokémon Silver cartridge, which he'd let us play. Before I knew it, almost my entire class was into Pokémon :LOL:

What about you?

Art by Chelsea Stingel

4636debc0f1531a8718ea458e4eb9778.jpg

Got to borrow my cousins copy of Pokemon Blue on the way home from a family gathering, let me play it the whole car ride home and got hooked, didn't get the game myself for a long time because the family couldn't afford it, but managed to snag a cheap VHS of Pokemon The Movie 2000 at a boot sale and that was it for me, I was a lifelong fan.

• Love
Reactions: Lucina
I was just a wee lil Emma when it happened! I was given a green Gameboy Colour and Pokémon Blue as a present when they came out, and since that time, I've bought every single mainline Pokémon game - all versions :D

I never got much chance to see any of the anime - we never had "cable" or any of its equivalents, and Pokémon wasn't on the main terrestrial channels very often. Not when I was checking anyway! But it's okay, I had my games 💕

Ironically, my famous love for Totodile developed much later - I don't recall being obsessed with him back in Gen 2.

• Love
Reactions: Lucina
Got to borrow my cousins copy of Pokemon Blue on the way home from a family gathering, let me play it the whole car ride home and got hooked, didn't get the game myself for a long time because the family couldn't afford it, but managed to snag a cheap VHS of Pokemon The Movie 2000 at a boot sale and that was it for me, I was a lifelong fan.
Pokémon 2000 was such a good movie <3 and starting with Blue means you're an OG! Thanks for sharing :3

I was just a wee lil Emma when it happened! I was given a green Gameboy Colour and Pokémon Blue as a present when they came out, and since that time, I've bought every single mainline Pokémon game - all versions :D

I never got much chance to see any of the anime - we never had "cable" or any of its equivalents, and Pokémon wasn't on the main terrestrial channels very often. Not when I was checking anyway! But it's okay, I had my games 💕

Ironically, my famous love for Totodile developed much later - I don't recall being obsessed with him back in Gen 2.
Oh look, Emma also started with Pokémon Blue :) and well, now I kinda understand why you're so good at Pokémon guessing... you've played them all! Thanks for sharing <3