How did you get introduced to Pokémon?

Lucina

Champion Trainer
Reaction score
Hii, I got a question for everyone!
How was your first experience with the Pokémon franchise like? Was it directly through the games or did you watch the anime first? Did you immediately like the games or did it take some time for them to warmp up to you?

My story: I think for me, I started with the anime. I remember being a kid, watching my aunt's TV when the first opening came up, and it instantly grabbed my attention. I remember I at first became obsessed with the "turtle that has cannons on its back" (Blastoise). Despite this, I didn't get many chances to watch it due to it being branded as "inappropriate" for children by my parents for some reason.
So I really got into it during elementary school when one of my friends brought his GBC to school with a Pokémon Silver cartridge, which he'd let us play. Before I knew it, almost my entire class was into Pokémon :LOL:

What about you?

Art by Chelsea Stingel

4636debc0f1531a8718ea458e4eb9778.jpg

Got to borrow my cousins copy of Pokemon Blue on the way home from a family gathering, let me play it the whole car ride home and got hooked, didn't get the game myself for a long time because the family couldn't afford it, but managed to snag a cheap VHS of Pokemon The Movie 2000 at a boot sale and that was it for me, I was a lifelong fan.

I was just a wee lil Emma when it happened! I was given a green Gameboy Colour and Pokémon Blue as a present when they came out, and since that time, I've bought every single mainline Pokémon game - all versions :D

I never got much chance to see any of the anime - we never had "cable" or any of its equivalents, and Pokémon wasn't on the main terrestrial channels very often. Not when I was checking anyway! But it's okay, I had my games 💕

Ironically, my famous love for Totodile developed much later - I don't recall being obsessed with him back in Gen 2.

Got to borrow my cousins copy of Pokemon Blue on the way home from a family gathering, let me play it the whole car ride home and got hooked, didn't get the game myself for a long time because the family couldn't afford it, but managed to snag a cheap VHS of Pokemon The Movie 2000 at a boot sale and that was it for me, I was a lifelong fan.
Pokémon 2000 was such a good movie <3 and starting with Blue means you're an OG! Thanks for sharing :3

I was just a wee lil Emma when it happened! I was given a green Gameboy Colour and Pokémon Blue as a present when they came out, and since that time, I've bought every single mainline Pokémon game - all versions :D

I never got much chance to see any of the anime - we never had "cable" or any of its equivalents, and Pokémon wasn't on the main terrestrial channels very often. Not when I was checking anyway! But it's okay, I had my games 💕

Ironically, my famous love for Totodile developed much later - I don't recall being obsessed with him back in Gen 2.
Oh look, Emma also started with Pokémon Blue :) and well, now I kinda understand why you're so good at Pokémon guessing... you've played them all! Thanks for sharing <3

• Love
Reactions: Lahm
When I was 10 or 11 had friends who traded pokemon cards, they're the ones to blame for me getting into pokemon.

• Haha
Reactions: Lahm and Andr3a2810
I started watching the anime every morning before school when i was 4. I got my first game in emerald when i was 6 and I stayed ever since

• Love
I didn't even know about Pokemon until my mom got me a game boy and Pokemon red for Christmas. Then it was history from there. Started watching the anime at this after school thing. Collecting the cards. Also remember taping episodes on VHS so that I could watch Pokemon and dragon ball z when I got home. Good times.

Remember all the playground rumors like Mew under the truck? I thought I was a genius when I did the missing-no glitch and it actually worked lol. Blew my mind.

• Haha
I've begun with the anime in 2000
After that mom and dad bought me a GBC with Pokémon Yellow for my 7th birthday
The rest is history
Despite the fact I've stopped after Sun/Moon (if not considering Brilliant Diamond which is a remake) it's been for sure my favorite videogame series for many many years

Reactions: Lahm and Enderchuu
When I was in primary school, my family rewarded me with a Game Boy SP
The person who sold the game console casually gave me the pokemon Sapphire
I specifically bought a protective case for it, and it still looks as good as new

• Cool
Reactions: Andr3a2810 and Lahm
It started with the trading cards for me haha, friends got into the trading cards so I started getting into them as well. Eventually that turned to the anime, and eventually led to me buying the games. My first and honestly favorite of the gameboy pokemon games is Pokemon Emerald, have been addicted for 10+ years now. Only downside is even after 10+ years family still haven't been able to pronounce pokemon correctly lmaoo, especially grandma.

• Love
Reactions: Andr3a2810
I have a TERRIBLE long term memory, I don't remember much from being a kid. I do however remember when I fell in love with pokemon. I have a older brother who is 15ish years older than me and when I was 6-8 years old, he gifted me with a yellow gameboy color and a copy of Pokemon Yellow. (a bunch of other games but who cares :p) I was hooked from the start but I was also a dumb dumb child which led me to sinking in countless hours into that cartridge and fighting the elite four with a level 93 Pikachu...good times lol.

• Yikes
Reactions: Andr3a2810